Monday, July 11, 2011

Generation Integration

I am in a college-age group here in the Seattle area and we have just hit the reset button. New college pastor. Not really sure where we are going as a group now but I am excited by the opportunities that are presenting themselves. As a group we have been more or less stagnant for upwards of six months now. When would be a better time to revitalize the mission and focus?

One huge problem that we have had for at least as long as I have been apart of this group is a lack of integration between our students and the rest of the church. There is precious little community being spread around between the generations at my church. This problem is one that I have become most acutely aware of as something that has to change if we are ever going to move forward.

How do you go about integrating age groups that have zero contact with each other? I guess that's what I'm going to try to find out. We have been operating as a completely autonomous branch of the church and I believe that trying to tie the group back within the confines of the church as a whole will have its own unique set of challenges. But isn't that what we're called to do? To operate as one body spreading the gospel through our love and community with one another? I certainly don't think our community is drawing too many folks right now...

I read an interesting summary from one pastor on how he intended to bring unity back to the generations of his congregation. I found some of his points useful, especially right near the end.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment