Thursday, July 12, 2012

A kid named Nathan

I spent the last weekend at the beautiful Kelly's Whitewater Park in Idaho. It was hosting the national kayak championships and, boy, was it gorgeous. Even with temperatures right around 100 degrees, the amazingly clean and refreshing river running through the park made it not only bearable, but enjoyable too.



At any rate, I was there with my aunt who was manning a stand and selling her new book. Lots of things about the weekend will be remembered but nothing more than the boy named Nathan. He was maybe ten or eleven years old and I only talked to him once. But he had more of an impact on me than anything else that weekend.

So there we were, my aunt and I, sitting behind her book stand, when young Nathan walks up. He had a short conversation with my aunt and then moved on. As soon as he did, my aunt and I both looked at each other like, "Did you see that kid?"

Just the way the he walked and carried himself screamed of self-confidence. The kind of confidence I struggle to maintain even when I'm thinking about it. This kid already has what few grown men obtain and it was so tangible it came off of him in waves. And then there was the simple cross hanging around his neck.

It hit me like a ton of bricks that I had just seen the attribute which comes from realizing you are a son of the King. I don't know if Nathan is walking with the Lord or not, but he certainly exhibited exactly what I have been thinking about. I pray that cross around his neck means the world to him...

No comments:

Post a Comment